- Move with the Mayor™ engagement and action in 18 locations in 2019 including 11 cities in the Buckeye Mayors Challenge through collaborations with Dr. Bern Melnyk’s team at The Ohio State University School of Nursing. Support for Move with the Mayor™ includes frequent connections with National Forum staff and communications tools: press releases, headlines, social media content calendar, save the date, event calendars, and logos.
2019 Cities: Alexandria, VA, Albuquerque, NM, Akron, OH, Athens, OH, Baton Rouge, LA, Beavercreek, OH, Columbia, SC, Columbus, OH, Cuyahoga Falls, OH, Dayton, OH, Elyria, OH, Findlay, OH, Grove City, OH, Lancaster, OH, Los Angeles, CA, Oakland, CA, Toledo, OH, and West Chicago, IL.
- The National Forum held its Mid-Year Member Meeting on World Hypertension Day
May 17, 2019: Improving Blood Pressure Control at the Community Level Community,
Clinical and Public Health Leaders Share Success Stories
- Hair & Health Program, Jared Hymowitz, Director of the Mayor’s Healthy City Initiative, Office of Mayor-President Sharon Weston-Broome, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, A Move with the Mayor® City
- Development Of An Entirely Remote, Non‐Physician Led Hypertension Management Program, Victoria Liquori, MPH, Patient Navigator & Jacqueline Dunning, PharmD, Pharmacist, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- Regina M. Benjamin, MD, MBA, 18th Surgeon General of the United States interviewed the 2018 Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Champion: Mountain People’s Health Councils, Inc., Scott County Tennessee, Patricia Dyer, RN, Chief Operations Officer
- Member Organizations: American Heart Association, Preeti Kolankarai, Portfolio Advisor, Patients; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Betsy L. Thompson, MD, MSPH, DrPH, RADM, US Public Health Service, Director, Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention
- 2020 Appropriations Update, Caitlin Peruccio, Legislative Assistant, Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Chair, House Labor, Health, Human Services and Education Appropriations Subcommittee
- U.S. Conference of Mayors unanimously approved a resolution drafted by the National Forum urging cities to answer the Surgeon General’s Call to Action on Walking and Walkable Communities. Mayor Sharon Weston Broome of Baton Rouge and 4 other mayors sponsored the resolution.
- Developed the Move with the MayorTM/U.S. Surgeon General’s Call to Action Step it Up! Success Roadmap to help cities identify and strengthen their programs and policies to improve health. Piloted the Roadmap with Ohio cities.
- The Value & Access Steering Committee released the next two SHARED Decision Making Worksheets in a series created in collaboration with Dr. Jennifer Robinson and Value & Access partners, the National Lipid Association and the American Pharmacists Association Foundation:
- Statin-Related Side Effects
- The worksheets are designed to help patients and providers discuss symptoms, explore and compare treatment options, discuss values and reach a decision. These follow the worksheet on FH done in collaboration with the FH Foundation, released during last year’s Annual Meeting.
- Released Best Practices for Pharmaceutical & Therapeutics (P&T) Committees Checklist. The Checklist is a model process for P & T Committees to make equitable coverage decisions, focusing on evidence-based processes to select and promote treatments offering the best therapeutic outcomes, while minimizing potential risks and costs to patients.
- Submitted Value & Access Steering Committee and partners’ consensus feedback on ICER’s Draft Evidence Report on Additive Therapies for Cardiovascular Disease:
Effectiveness and Value
- Convened the Value & Access Steering Committee for an agenda-setting meeting on October 7, 2019.
- Presented the National Forum’s Virtual Convening on October 8, 2019:
Doing Our Part to Preserve Brain Health–An Urgent Call to Action which shared stories and the latest facts members can use in their World Stroke Day messaging. A new stroke prevention checklist for health professionals and the public, was presented. National Forum Board members Mark McEwen and Dr. Bern Melnyk were panelists, joined by two of our federal liaison organizations, Dr. Betsy Thompson, CDC and Dr. Clinton Wright, NINDS as well as Stephanie Mohl with the American Heart Association. 131 individuals from 52 organizations in 34 states attended.
- The National Forum released its third signature report on October 30, 2019, The “Silver Tsunami:” Aging of Baby Boomers creates dangerous wave of heart disease, heart failure.
- The 17th Annual Meeting of the National Forum, Catalyst for Collaboration, was held on October 30, 2019 in Washington DC and for the first time the entire event was live-streamed.
- Working collaboratively, The Ohio State University Move with the MayorTM and the Ohio Mayors Alliance, are hosting an O-Heart-I-O heart health-themed football game/recognition event on November 9, 2019 recognizing 11 Ohio mayors who completed the Step it Up Challenge answering the U.S. Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities.
- Amarin, The Global Healthy Living Foundation, The Medicines Company and Partnership to Advance Cardiovascular Health joined the National Forum.
- Laura Gordon, General Manager, Edelman, is the 8th National Forum Chair.