2018 National Forum Awards
The National Forum annually recognizes individuals and organizations who have made exceptional contributions to heart disease and stroke prevention during its Annual Meeting. The following individuals and organizations are the 2018 awardees.
National Forum Heart Healthy Stroke Free Awards
Presented to an individual and a group whose work embodies the recommendations of the national Public Health Action Plan to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke.
- Individual: The Honorable James Schmitt, Mayor of Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Organization: Hearts Beat Back: The Heart of New Ulm Project, Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation
National Forum Public Policy Awards
Recognizes an individual and a group who have been effective in advancing policy change that reduces the heart disease and stroke burden on a national, state, or local level.
- Jill Birnbaum, JD, American Heart Association for strategic leadership of Voices for Healthy Kids and American Heart Association state policy efforts that have led to numerous changes in public policy to make heart-healthy choices easier for all.
- The Horizon Foundation and Sugar Free Kids Maryland for leadership in passing the “Healthy Kids’ Meal Bill” in Baltimore and for your work to reduce the health risks associated with consumption of sugary drinks both in Howard County and across Maryland.
National Forum Commitment Award
Given to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the National Forum.
- Sunita Dodani MBBS (MD), FCPS, MSc, PhD, FAHA, Eastern Virginia Medical School & EVMS-Sentara Healthcare Analytics and Delivery Science Institute (HADSI)
National Forum Chair Recognition Award
Given to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the National Forum. Recipients are hand-picked by the chairman of the National Forum’s Board of Directors.
- The Honorable Sharon Weston Broome, Mayor of Baton Rouge, Louisiana for significant contributions in leadership to improve cardiovascular health in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Tribute to Outgoing Leadership
Recognizing individuals who have served as leaders within the National Forum through their involvement as Board of Directors.
- Rod Wooten, Astra Zeneca
- David Zook, JD, Faegre Baker Daniels Consulting